Skip to main content

Review: Rod Modell Plays Michael Mantra (2007)

This is a very unusual work, with two 30-minute tracks, each of which has a 2-bar melody that repeats all the way through. Does this work? First, let me describe how AM radio works.

There is a carrier radio wave, at a certain frequency. The number of the station refers to its carrier-wave frequency. So if you tune your radio to AM 830, that’s a station with a carrier signal at 830 kHz. Your radio generates a wave at this frequency, and some circuitry detects the difference between that and the incoming signal. The signal coming in has sound information encoded in it, on top of the carrier wave.

So the carrier wave functions as a zero point, and the sounds are generated by differences between the signal and the original carrier wave. This album seems to function in this way. The repeating melodies are the carrier wave, and should fade from focus in your consciousness. That sets the mood and atmosphere, and the things that change around it are where the music is.

So to answer the question, “Does it work,” I have to say, “yes.”

The liner notes say this work is a result of trying to recapture the feeling of riding a train late at night, while listening to Michael Mantra’s A/B record. You can hear recordings of trains, as well as A/B “bleeding through the mix”.

This is really an hour-long journey with two atmospheres, and I recommend it. Just approach it with the right mindset: focusing on those melodies will drive you nuts!

The liner notes also recommend headphones (I agree; this is definitely headphone music), and not listening to it while driving or operating heavy machinery.

In closing, I’ll pass on a quirk of my experience with it. I find it very hard to hear the bass drum in AbA on the beat; it sounds like it’s on the offbeat. But once it switches in my head, it then remains on the downbeat. It usually switches when I pause it due to an interruption, or if my mind has drifted sufficiently.

YouTube sample:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview: Arjen Schat

Sometime around 2011, I bumped into Waveform Transmission's "V1.0-V1.9" release, which is a really interesting Dark Ambient album. It's quite obscure and hard-to-find, so I found a download on an obscure music blog in order to listen to the whole thing before trying to hunt down a CD to buy. Rod Modell worked on that, and when I hunted for his other stuff, I first found Dub Techno. Going back to the music blog, the author had just posted that he was listening to some quality Dub Techno by Ohrwert, called "Yesteryear". This was my first introduction to the musical world of Arjen Schat, a composer from the Netherlands who works in several different genres of electronic music. Over the years since finding his music, I've been quite interested to see how his styles have evolved. Recently I felt I had enough understanding to do an interview with him to get some inside information on how he works. He was kind enough to answer my questions; many thanks to him

Interview: Submersion

In 2015, I got a notification on Bandcamp that someone I follow bought "Deluge" by an artist I had not heard of named Submersion. By then, this was already a long-time name used by Justin Francazio to release his electronic music compositions. I gave it a quick listen and was instantly impressed with its depth of texture, unusual sound, and the wide variety on its four tracks. Since then I've hunted down everything I can by him, and it's all very good. Recently, I had to opportunity to get an interview. What follows gives some interesting insight into his music. How did you get interested in constructing music? It was possibly the early exposure to the small electronic section of my record store, early online music sites, or dissatisfaction with traditional music. But starting in my teenage years I wanted to make music electronically. Around that time, I was searching online late at night trying to figure out how to accomplish this, and out of the blue I'd receive

Liuos - A Retrospective

Dub Techno is a notoriously difficult genre of music in which to differentiate one’s self as a composer. With a fairly narrow definition of what Dub Techno is, it’s difficult to make many alterations to the form without finding yourself outside it. This isn’t a complaint or a criticism of the form, just something I’ve noticed over the last 15 or so years of listening to it. For those already familiar with the genre, you might consider skipping down to the part that focuses on Liuos’s place in this area. What is Dub Techno? If you’re not familiar with it, here are a few classic examples of Dub Techno (from here on out “DT”). 1994: Cyrus - “Inversion” (A Basic Channel track from the inventors of DT)  https://youtu.be/1_BvEKRzlns 2010: Zzzzra - “Helicologie”  Helicologie | Entropy Records 2012: Submersion - “Isolate Obliterate”  Isolate Obliterate | Submersion 2013: Ohrwert - “Asphere”  Asphere | Entropy Records 2014: Deepchord - “Red Lantern (Parts 1 and 2)”  Red Lantern - Parts 1&2