Skip to main content

Review: Low Orbit Satellite – Disposal Orbit (2014)

Recently, I came across a really interesting Techno album. Someone bought some music I recommended on Bandcamp, so I looked at what else they liked, and found it there. I was attracted initially by the name of the artist and the stark image of Sputnik on the cover. I was hoping for some spacy Techno.

It starts right in with a raw Roland 303 bassline, on a track aptly-named “303 Walk With Me”. Within a minute as the atmospherics kicked in, I was thinking, “Yup, spacy Techno!”

Through the rest of its 50-minute running time, I was not disappointed with anything I heard. Compositionally, it sounds like Techno from the early to mid 1990s, but sonically it’s very up-to-date.

While being quite consistent in its sound, there is variety to be had. Unsyncc brings in dubby elements and a bouncier sound, to great effect. Immediately after, we get Wiredbx which has a heavy and oppressive vibe. Then Libration Point lightens up again. Near the end we get Dumbells, which sounds more like Acid Techno. The closer (I’m not counting the trailing remix as the closer) Mass Transit Relay is a classic Techno album finish that drops the pounding beat and brings in a haunting flute; it’s a sound that leaves me wanting more of this stuff.

Had I listened to this without knowing its release date, I would have been very surprised to find out it landed in 2014. LOS’s previous full album from 2012 (named “2010”) sounds like it came out many years later than Disposal Orbit. Which indicates to me that the artist set out deliberately to bring us some older-sounding Techno with updated technology.

I recommend giving this a listen if that idea interests you.

Bandcamp link to the first track.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview: Submersion

In 2015, I got a notification on Bandcamp that someone I follow bought "Deluge" by an artist I had not heard of named Submersion. By then, this was already a long-time name used by Justin Francazio to release his electronic music compositions. I gave it a quick listen and was instantly impressed with its depth of texture, unusual sound, and the wide variety on its four tracks. Since then I've hunted down everything I can by him, and it's all very good. Recently, I had to opportunity to get an interview. What follows gives some interesting insight into his music. How did you get interested in constructing music? It was possibly the early exposure to the small electronic section of my record store, early online music sites, or dissatisfaction with traditional music. But starting in my teenage years I wanted to make music electronically. Around that time, I was searching online late at night trying to figure out how to accomplish this, and out of the blue I'd receive

Liuos - A Retrospective

Dub Techno is a notoriously difficult genre of music in which to differentiate one’s self as a composer. With a fairly narrow definition of what Dub Techno is, it’s difficult to make many alterations to the form without finding yourself outside it. This isn’t a complaint or a criticism of the form, just something I’ve noticed over the last 15 or so years of listening to it. For those already familiar with the genre, you might consider skipping down to the part that focuses on Liuos’s place in this area. What is Dub Techno? If you’re not familiar with it, here are a few classic examples of Dub Techno (from here on out “DT”). 1994: Cyrus - “Inversion” (A Basic Channel track from the inventors of DT)  https://youtu.be/1_BvEKRzlns 2010: Zzzzra - “Helicologie”  Helicologie | Entropy Records 2012: Submersion - “Isolate Obliterate”  Isolate Obliterate | Submersion 2013: Ohrwert - “Asphere”  Asphere | Entropy Records 2014: Deepchord - “Red Lantern (Parts 1 and 2)”  Red Lantern - Parts 1&2

Interview: Arjen Schat

Sometime around 2011, I bumped into Waveform Transmission's "V1.0-V1.9" release, which is a really interesting Dark Ambient album. It's quite obscure and hard-to-find, so I found a download on an obscure music blog in order to listen to the whole thing before trying to hunt down a CD to buy. Rod Modell worked on that, and when I hunted for his other stuff, I first found Dub Techno. Going back to the music blog, the author had just posted that he was listening to some quality Dub Techno by Ohrwert, called "Yesteryear". This was my first introduction to the musical world of Arjen Schat, a composer from the Netherlands who works in several different genres of electronic music. Over the years since finding his music, I've been quite interested to see how his styles have evolved. Recently I felt I had enough understanding to do an interview with him to get some inside information on how he works. He was kind enough to answer my questions; many thanks to him