Skip to main content

Review: Monolake – Ghosts (2012)

I have been going through Monolake’s back catalog since discovering the excellent Reminiscence from 2003’s Momentum release in the summer of 2011. After getting started in a style closer to Dub Techno on the venerable Chain Reaction label, they subsequently have gone through some different styles. After the transitional Interstate followed a set of four LPs (Gravity, Cinemascope, Momentum and Polygon_Cities) which showed a minimalist approach to Ambient Techno with dubby elements. These four LPs show a steady move toward darker atmospheres, leading to the phase Monolake now occupies, which consists of Silence and the recently-released Ghosts.

We are told that Silence and Ghosts are the first two of a trilogy of works. Ghosts shares with Silence a focus on quality of sound rather than composition. Not that there is no composition at work, just that it seems subservient to the sounds themselves.

The eleven tracks are all shorter than 6 minutes, with the exceptions of Phenomenon (at exactly 6 minutes) and Hitting the Surface (at almost eight minutes). The pacing keeps things moving along, seldom giving the feeling of stagnation.

The opener (also the title track) is a solid bit of industrial-sounding techno, which sounds more like the music on Momentum than Silence or the rest of Ghosts. I found myself disappointed when the album slid immediately afterward into the less structured Taku. Taku does have a beat and bassline, but layered on top is an incoherent jumble of Aphex-like bouncing ball sounds. This track appears to be largely a showcase of some very formidable engineering skills.

The next four tracks strike a midpoint between the two preceeding tracks’ styles, with brooding atmosphere and more structured compositions. The female computer-voice returns in Hitting the Surface, which has been a trademark of Monolake’s work for some time.

Next up, Phenomenon returns to the avant-noise style of Taku, then Unstable Matter drops beats and basslines entirely for another showcase of seemingly random sound effects. While I find the cacophony of sounds paints an odd (and potentially interesting) picture in my mind, I find the album drags during these two.

For the final three tracks, we are returned to stronger structure, though the established tone and focus on odd sound effects remains. Aligning the Daemon includes an interesting use of a pipe organ, which for some reason fits in very well.

Foreign Object comes close to the opener in style. I get the feeling Monolake are aware of the challenging nature of this record, and want the first and last experiences to be the easiest to digest.

On the whole, Ghosts is a very coherent and well-engineered set of tracks, with contrastingly incoherent elements used within some of the music. My personal preference is for Monolake’s work on Momentum and Cinemascope, but I do not consider Ghosts a poor release. It is a must-have for any fans of Silence, as it is an expansion of that album’s sensibilities.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview: Arjen Schat

Sometime around 2011, I bumped into Waveform Transmission's "V1.0-V1.9" release, which is a really interesting Dark Ambient album. It's quite obscure and hard-to-find, so I found a download on an obscure music blog in order to listen to the whole thing before trying to hunt down a CD to buy. Rod Modell worked on that, and when I hunted for his other stuff, I first found Dub Techno. Going back to the music blog, the author had just posted that he was listening to some quality Dub Techno by Ohrwert, called "Yesteryear". This was my first introduction to the musical world of Arjen Schat, a composer from the Netherlands who works in several different genres of electronic music. Over the years since finding his music, I've been quite interested to see how his styles have evolved. Recently I felt I had enough understanding to do an interview with him to get some inside information on how he works. He was kind enough to answer my questions; many thanks to him

Interview: Submersion

In 2015, I got a notification on Bandcamp that someone I follow bought "Deluge" by an artist I had not heard of named Submersion. By then, this was already a long-time name used by Justin Francazio to release his electronic music compositions. I gave it a quick listen and was instantly impressed with its depth of texture, unusual sound, and the wide variety on its four tracks. Since then I've hunted down everything I can by him, and it's all very good. Recently, I had to opportunity to get an interview. What follows gives some interesting insight into his music. How did you get interested in constructing music? It was possibly the early exposure to the small electronic section of my record store, early online music sites, or dissatisfaction with traditional music. But starting in my teenage years I wanted to make music electronically. Around that time, I was searching online late at night trying to figure out how to accomplish this, and out of the blue I'd receive

Review: Liuos – Negative Ions (2019)

I get notifications from a label that specializes in Dub Techno and Ambient music, Cold Tear Records . They are based in Lithuania, and have a treasure trove of hidden gems in their catalogue. Since I have bought something from them, I get emails whenever they release something. This has been a great boon to my music collection, and this review covers one of those releases. Negative Ions is a 4-track EP from Liuos (the recording name of Jari Österberg), an artist from Finland; it's available at Bandcamp . When I first queued this up, I immediately liked it. It's got both a heavy and bouncy vibe to it, if that makes any sense. The bass is thick, the kick drum has a crisp tone reminding us of the bottom note of the key signature, and the rhythms above give it a lot of liveliness. Just a few specific notes: Synoptic Scale includes some traditional Reggae rhythms in it, signaling Dub Techno's roots in Jamaican Dub. While I don't have a comment about Nacreous Clouds, it