Skip to main content

Review: Optical Frameworks – Vertigo (2014)

Vertigo by Optical Frameworks is a quiet Dub Techno record that gives me the strangest feeling that it's been in my collection for 20 years. I don't know why I get this sense of familiarity and nostalgia when I play it; this isn't something I've experienced before. I love this strange sense it gives me every time I hear it. This is the work of one Martin Dlabaja, whose artist page lists the Czech Republic as his place of origin.

The sound of the album includes some Dark Ambient mixed in with varying amounts from track to track, resulting in a quiet, thoughtful, foggy sort of atmosphere. The opener, "I Will Wait for You", is beatless, with a few string instruments on top of what sounds like road noise with a lot of overlaid static. The slow-moving brooding of this track sets the tone for the rest of the album.

"B52 Rebuff" brings in a beat, though it's not super-heavy. A few quiet overheard vocal samples mill around in the background. In usual Dub Techno fashion, this is not a melodic track, even though it does have a few synth lines running around in it. As a side note, it sounds like there's a recording error at the beginning of it. I asked the label about this, and they replied that the artist says this is intentional. Another album from this artist is listed as "Optical Framework – Aether Blueprints". I asked if the missing "s" on the artist's name was a mistake, and again they replied that the artist says this is intentional. Having listened to 4 full Optical Frameworks albums, I'm guessing this is some sort of statement about his artistic style. There are a lot of field recordings in his work, and I think he wants us to sense a certain amount of the accidental in the experience.

The following darkness of "Co Du" is the quietest moment in the collection, which leads into "Vertigo", the most upbeat track. This was the first track I head from this album, and it made an immediate impression on me. The softness of the beat, the subtle treatment of the bass notes, and the swirling static around the lead synth lines combine to make one of the most interesting soundscapes I've heard. This and "B52 Rebuff" are my favorites on the album, but this isn't to say anything else on it is weak.

One of my minor complaints is that "Lo-Field Vault Research" is a bit too short. There's something about the harmonics on the pulsing drone in this that I really like. I'd like another minute or two to enjoy this!

"Minimal Session" gives us a pleasant interlude before diving into "Nyares", the longest track. A swirling mix of static and heavy chords over a slow but menacing beat gives us a strong foreboding sense of unease. Closing up shop is "Subway Tears", a melancholy but vaguely satisfied-sounding beatless track.

One of the great perils of composing Dub Techno is falling into a rut and having everything turn out sounding the same. It's a minimal style without tons of elements in a single track, but when handled as deftly as Martin does, it's capable of great emotional expression. If you're interested in his work, I recommend starting with Vertigo, then moving to Little Piece of Perseverance. I haven't heard all of his releases, but my impression is that as you move from those two into the rest of his catalog, you'll find more Dark Ambient influence. I like Dark Ambient, but it's harder to appreciate for the uninitiated than Dub Techno, so be warned.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview: Arjen Schat

Sometime around 2011, I bumped into Waveform Transmission's "V1.0-V1.9" release, which is a really interesting Dark Ambient album. It's quite obscure and hard-to-find, so I found a download on an obscure music blog in order to listen to the whole thing before trying to hunt down a CD to buy. Rod Modell worked on that, and when I hunted for his other stuff, I first found Dub Techno. Going back to the music blog, the author had just posted that he was listening to some quality Dub Techno by Ohrwert, called "Yesteryear". This was my first introduction to the musical world of Arjen Schat, a composer from the Netherlands who works in several different genres of electronic music. Over the years since finding his music, I've been quite interested to see how his styles have evolved. Recently I felt I had enough understanding to do an interview with him to get some inside information on how he works. He was kind enough to answer my questions; many thanks to him

Interview: Submersion

In 2015, I got a notification on Bandcamp that someone I follow bought "Deluge" by an artist I had not heard of named Submersion. By then, this was already a long-time name used by Justin Francazio to release his electronic music compositions. I gave it a quick listen and was instantly impressed with its depth of texture, unusual sound, and the wide variety on its four tracks. Since then I've hunted down everything I can by him, and it's all very good. Recently, I had to opportunity to get an interview. What follows gives some interesting insight into his music. How did you get interested in constructing music? It was possibly the early exposure to the small electronic section of my record store, early online music sites, or dissatisfaction with traditional music. But starting in my teenage years I wanted to make music electronically. Around that time, I was searching online late at night trying to figure out how to accomplish this, and out of the blue I'd receive

Liuos - A Retrospective

Dub Techno is a notoriously difficult genre of music in which to differentiate one’s self as a composer. With a fairly narrow definition of what Dub Techno is, it’s difficult to make many alterations to the form without finding yourself outside it. This isn’t a complaint or a criticism of the form, just something I’ve noticed over the last 15 or so years of listening to it. For those already familiar with the genre, you might consider skipping down to the part that focuses on Liuos’s place in this area. What is Dub Techno? If you’re not familiar with it, here are a few classic examples of Dub Techno (from here on out “DT”). 1994: Cyrus - “Inversion” (A Basic Channel track from the inventors of DT)  https://youtu.be/1_BvEKRzlns 2010: Zzzzra - “Helicologie”  Helicologie | Entropy Records 2012: Submersion - “Isolate Obliterate”  Isolate Obliterate | Submersion 2013: Ohrwert - “Asphere”  Asphere | Entropy Records 2014: Deepchord - “Red Lantern (Parts 1 and 2)”  Red Lantern - Parts 1&2