Skip to main content

A bunch of electronic EPs

In the various worlds of the different kinds of Techno, EPs are common. 2-4 track mini-albums that the artist felt was a compelete set for whatever unknown reason. It's hard to write a complete review of these small packs of music, but I feel several of them are worthy of attention. So I'll list several here with brief comments about why I think they're good. They're in reverse alphabetical order; no ranking is intended.


Yernesto - In Too Deep (Dub Techno)
https://coldtearrecords.bandcamp.com/album/yernesto-in-too-deep

Dub Techno rides a line between Techno and Dub, and there's a certain sweet spot that I really like. I prefer no vocal samples, and few to no Roland 909 (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEFEivTgNVI) samples. The 909 has been ubiquitous in popular music since its introduction in 1983, and I'm just tired of hearing those sounds over and over.

Yernesto's release "In Too Deep" hits all the right buttons for me to like it. Deep grooves, solid soundstaging and subtle effects work. I highly recommend this, and look forward to more releases from him.


Vertical Amigo - Ridge (Dub Techno)
https://coldtearrecords.bandcamp.com/album/vertical-amigo-ridge

"Ridge" is a quite varied collection of tracks. Plateau has a live-sounding drum loop that is just awesome, and Peak is a great subtle closer.


Submersion - Deluge (Dub Techno)
http://audio.submersion.info/album/deluge

Submersion has a very noisy take on the genre with tons of rain samples mixed into his work. Deep thudding bass drums with grimy-sounding synths amid all the rain give this collection a very dark and foreboding atmosphere.


Sasha - Xpander (Progressive Trance)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAkYOME9lB8&list=PLMGxtELrE1hukmcHodSj0K7-iz6xRaU-b
(Sorry, there's no official listenable version of this)

Ordinarily, Sasha does heavy remixing of other artists' works, most notably with the Involver series. I'm not really into the whole remix scene, so I prefer his solo work. He does work with other artists on these, but it's his name on the product. The 4 tracks of Xpander (ignoring the 4-minute edit of the title track) are all different, and are all epic journeys in the style of Progressive Trance. Xpander is one of the best tracks in my entire collection; I highly recommend it. Oh yeah: spot the Autechre sample in Baja.


Plaster - Nemesis (Minimal Techno... I think. Hard to catagorize this one)
https://soundcloud.com/plaster/nemesis-ep (just samples)

Plaster at the time of this release consisted of two artists; one has since left, and both continue to release music. One as Plaster, and one as Agan. This EP is a collection of disparate tracks that all have a brooding mood. I'd like to point out Alight To Earth, track 2, as the best one of the set.


Ohrwert - Aberrate (Dub Techno)
https://entropyrecords.bandcamp.com/album/ohrwert-aberrate

One of my favorite works from Ohrwert (who also releases ambient music under his real name, Arjen Schat), Aberrate is just three tracks, but wow are they good. Make sure you have access to super deep bass to catch some of the underlying rhythms in Panorama and Asphere!


Mon0 - Sensaura (Dub Techno)
https://mon0.bandcamp.com/album/sensaura

If a 33 minute album can be called an EP, this is a good one. There are three 10-minute tracks, and they're all interesting. They switch moods from one to the next, so the collection has quite a varied feel to it.


Doublereflect - Aquanaut EP (Dub Techno)
https://axaminerrecords.bandcamp.com/album/doublereflect-aquanaut-ep

Here we get 5 tracks, two are remixes of the first. Both remixes sound different enough from the original not to be annoying, one being from the above-mentioned Ohrwert. Except for one of the remixes, these tracks have very heavy beats. They have a bit more of a thunderous sound than most Dub Techno I listen to, but the effect is cool and I recommend it.


Basic Channel - Basic Reshape (Dub Techno)
https://hardwax.com/44095/basic-channel/basic-reshape/

I have to include at least one EP from the inventors of Dub Techno, Basic Channel. Two tracks of different lengths, with very interesting sounds. Both tracks took their entire respective sides of the 12" vinyl it was printed on, but one was to be played at 45 RPM and the other at 33 1/3 RPM. These are remixes of others' works that I have not heard, most accounts credit them as being nearly original works in their own right.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Interview: Arjen Schat

Sometime around 2011, I bumped into Waveform Transmission's "V1.0-V1.9" release, which is a really interesting Dark Ambient album. It's quite obscure and hard-to-find, so I found a download on an obscure music blog in order to listen to the whole thing before trying to hunt down a CD to buy. Rod Modell worked on that, and when I hunted for his other stuff, I first found Dub Techno. Going back to the music blog, the author had just posted that he was listening to some quality Dub Techno by Ohrwert, called "Yesteryear". This was my first introduction to the musical world of Arjen Schat, a composer from the Netherlands who works in several different genres of electronic music. Over the years since finding his music, I've been quite interested to see how his styles have evolved. Recently I felt I had enough understanding to do an interview with him to get some inside information on how he works. He was kind enough to answer my questions; many thanks to him

Interview: Submersion

In 2015, I got a notification on Bandcamp that someone I follow bought "Deluge" by an artist I had not heard of named Submersion. By then, this was already a long-time name used by Justin Francazio to release his electronic music compositions. I gave it a quick listen and was instantly impressed with its depth of texture, unusual sound, and the wide variety on its four tracks. Since then I've hunted down everything I can by him, and it's all very good. Recently, I had to opportunity to get an interview. What follows gives some interesting insight into his music. How did you get interested in constructing music? It was possibly the early exposure to the small electronic section of my record store, early online music sites, or dissatisfaction with traditional music. But starting in my teenage years I wanted to make music electronically. Around that time, I was searching online late at night trying to figure out how to accomplish this, and out of the blue I'd receive

Review: Liuos – Negative Ions (2019)

I get notifications from a label that specializes in Dub Techno and Ambient music, Cold Tear Records . They are based in Lithuania, and have a treasure trove of hidden gems in their catalogue. Since I have bought something from them, I get emails whenever they release something. This has been a great boon to my music collection, and this review covers one of those releases. Negative Ions is a 4-track EP from Liuos (the recording name of Jari Österberg), an artist from Finland; it's available at Bandcamp . When I first queued this up, I immediately liked it. It's got both a heavy and bouncy vibe to it, if that makes any sense. The bass is thick, the kick drum has a crisp tone reminding us of the bottom note of the key signature, and the rhythms above give it a lot of liveliness. Just a few specific notes: Synoptic Scale includes some traditional Reggae rhythms in it, signaling Dub Techno's roots in Jamaican Dub. While I don't have a comment about Nacreous Clouds, it